Re: dvd space issues

[Nigel Barker]
> Obviously I can contribute this list into a wiki if that seems to be
> a useful thing to do. We are a pre-K-12 school by the way, which
> means ages 3 to 18.

At least I find such measure points very useful, and would love to
hear from more schools what kind of applications they are using.  I
suggest you add your report to wiki.debian.org and would love it if
you could take responsibility for trying to get information from other
schools as well. :)

I ran 'du -k pool/*/*/*|sort -nr |head -30' on the DVD yesterday, to
see on what source packages the space is spent.  Noticed lilypond was
5th, thanks to its 99MB package lilypond-doc.  This package is now
thrown out of the DVD, and we got space for a lot more.  Another
package spending 53 MB was fglrx-control, the non-free X driver.
Decided to drop it too, and thus have made room for 152 MB of
packages.  This made room for LXDE, Gnome and the language specific
packages.  I hope more people can have a look using similar methods to
come up with ways to get the packages we want on the DVD.

The current top 30 look like this:

354684  pool/main/o/openoffice.org
209220  pool/main/o/openclipart
154568  pool/main/k/kde-l10n
115904  pool/main/f/fluid-soundfont
94952   pool/main/k/kdebase-workspace
93448   pool/main/l/linux-2.6
80428   pool/main/o/openjdk-6
73684   pool/main/k/kdeedu
69924   pool/main/g/gcompris
60600   pool/main/s/samba
57844   pool/main/d/debian-installer-netboot-images
55672   pool/main/d/debian-edu-doc
52820   pool/main/n/norwegian
51516   pool/main/q/qt4-x11
50864   pool/main/i/inkscape
48456   pool/main/k/kdeartwork
45720   pool/main/t/tuxpaint-stamps
38172   pool/main/s/stellarium
35328   pool/main/e/evolution
35076   pool/main/g/gcj-4.4
34660   pool/main/s/scribus-ng
34348   pool/main/k/kdebindings
33940   pool/main/k/kde4libs
31876   pool/main/k/kicad
31340   pool/main/c/celestia
29200   pool/main/m/mesa
29136   pool/main/k/kdelibs
29036   pool/main/e/eglibc
28620   pool/main/f/flite
28592   pool/main/g/gimp-help

I wonder about the tuxpaint-stamps package, but have not investigated
why it is included.  Throwing out kicad bwill gain us 31 MB, when that
take effect.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen