Re: killer in the manual

Am Thursday, 5. November 2009 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> [Ralf Gesellensetter]
>
> > Given the current situation, there is nothing wrong with running
> > killer once per night (when students should be sleeping). Just the
> > hourly run caused bad trouble in our setting.
>
> Any hope of anyone fixing killer any time soon?  It is in the
> debian-edu svn on alioth.  We could perhaps change it to only run
>  once perb night. :)

Hi there, I did "read" the script - which has a lot of "comments" -
which are actually the source for the man page - but I missed those
comments that could have led me to the section where anonymous processes
are killed. :/ Any perl wizzard following? Have a look at the tarball at
http://ftp.skolelinux.no/debian/pool/main/k/killer/ - please! [1]

> > Apropos "left-behind": On our machine, hundreds of ltsp swap files
> > were left behind (>30 Gig on LTSP:/var) -- is this a unique
> > phenomenon?
>
> Nope.  We even created a script to clean up that mess until nbd
>  starts cleaning them up.  See
> /usr/share/debian-edu-config/tools/nbdswap-clean.

Yes, this script is there; also nightkill.sh which could be an
alternative to killer. Anyway debian-edu-config seems to be the right
package to place such maintainance scripts.

> Happy hacking,

Please follow recent IRC log on #debian-edu to find some alternative
approaches on clearing left-behind processes deliberately (rather than
killing arbitrary unidentified processes).

Regards
Ralf

P.S.: I dare place a copy of the "killer" perl script to Debian pastebin
- so you perl wizzards can find a way to regard user IDs of logged in
users (-> last; who). It's on:
[1] http://ftp.skolelinux.no/debian/pool/main/k/killer/