Re: webmin translation and encoding question

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 05:02:44PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Andreas Schuldei]
> > how are the config.info.XX files in webmin generated?
> >
> > i noticed that the module config pages are displayed in
> > ISO-8859-1 encoding, while the strings in config.info are utf-8.
> >
> > can we generate them in latin1 right away?
>
> Charset ISO-8859-1 (latin1) do not work for all languages.  It is only
> useful for western european languages.  Isn't it better to display the
> pages in utf-8, or convert to latin1 in the program?

we can iconv the files at package build time.

we (or at least I), in contrast to webmin generate the html
headers (indicating the encoding of the page) ourself. so the
pages in wlus are encoded in utf-8. but the module configuration
page is generated by webmin, which uses latin1.

so if we dont go back to latin1 on our html pages (which i would
not like to do!) or we hack webmin (which we could consider) we
will have different encodings in our modules and the module
configuration.