Re: An agenda going forward for Debian-IN

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Anivar Aravind wrote:

Main Organizational challenges in this area is we need dedicated people to
work on regulatory and legal compliance side  like 12 A approval and 80G ,
regular annual audits and FCMA/FCRA approval for foreign contribution
receiving .  It is a long way to go for a non-profit and in SMC we are still
in first step . Being a mentoring organization in google summer of code  we
cant even accept summer of code project money (because it is foreign
currency and organizations need FCRA/FCMA approval for receiving this )

It sounds like this could be a golden opportunity for lawyers who might be interested in Free Software but hesitating due to lack of software development skills.  Do we know of such people?

May be SFLC.in?

The search for a way leaded us in depending a conservancy , Software in
Public Interest (http://spi-inc.org) , same organization that provides
Organizational support for Debian  to process our  google summer of code
mentor fee and travel support. Now we are a SPI-associate just like Debian .
Community depends Indian organizational support for  activities in india and
SPI for supports outside India . By looking at this conservancy model we
felt this is the model we need to follow in India , to support various free
software initiatives within India.  We initially offered this support to
Indian language projects alone , as an umbrella organization. We recently
supported savepoddery.com campaign for processng indian language donations.
If Debian india wants to use this conservancy facility , SMC may be happy to
offer it ( I am proposing this in personal capacity , and need to discuss
with board) Any of the support services as in
http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/associated-project-howto/   is not difficult
for an organization who already handling such legal issues .

This sounds like an excellent idea and we should definitely look into it.

In order to affiliate with other organizations Debian-IN would still need to appoint some kind of liasion who can speak authoritatively for the group, a procedure for voting on relevant issues etc.

True

Also do you know what the tax/legal implications would be for an Indian entity donating money, goods, or services in India to a foreign and specifically US organization?  Hopefully the answer is none but it would be good to know for sure.

I think it is none for goods or  services or financial payments . But donating money will be a problem without FCMA permission  . I haven’t explored much of these . I can check with our auditor

In my personal opinion , adding a Debian packaging of any ideas are not much
difficult task . For eg . Privacy and surveillance discussion surrounded
minidebconf was actually easy to cover , if we  done it in context of
Privacy packages , cryptoparty and Freedombox. That may be a way to follow

Yes this is what I had in mind.

Partnering with debian focuses companies and non-profits to conduct events
is another possibility

Yes or even indian branches of MNCs which use Debian such as Hewlett-Packard.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>