Re: reinstalling conffiles

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:32:19AM +0100, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > So dpkg can't restore or even check which conffiles was modified.
> > > It might be helpful feature.
> >
> > It can, it just doesn't report it to the user unless the package
> > conffile changes (since that's the only time it really matters).
>
> I don't understand why dpkg didn't prompt me for conffile which was
> changed. It was my previous example. Where is the problem? Does it work
> only for upgrade?

As has been explained to you twice now, it only prompts if the
conffile in the package has changed *and* you modified the local
version.

Local version modified, package version not changed: User keeps local.
Local version intact, package version modified: user gets new version.
Both versions changed: dpkg asks user.

Jules