Re: UPGRADING w/static apt & dpkg [quite urgent!]

On Mon, 8 May 2000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2000, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
>
> > Okay, this seems a very easy way of upgrading, that's worth persuing.
> > Especially since I don't hear of other ways...
>
> Usually we just compile APT on slink and distribute that. Works pretty
> good.

Okay, but that doesn't work on bo (libc5). A static version is essentially the
same but it works everywhere. And you can just compile it on a potato box, so
it saves all hassles of backporting to old debhelper versions etc.

And BTW, i386 and m68k "statics" have been done already, alpha will be done
shortly, sparc==?  Upgrading stuff is available for the moment at
  http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/potato/

> These days you can just go 'apt-get install apt' and something
> reasonable will happen.

Correct, but that's only when upgrading from FTP/HTTP/local mirror. The main
problem is upgrading from a set of CDs, which needs the latest potato apt
(minimal disk changes etc.). You could of course get this apt in other ways
(e.g. mounting first CD and use as local mirror with old apt, or dpkg -i
libc6,libstdc++,...,apt) but a static apt is far more elegant. Actually, it
rulez because it's so very easy ;-)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer