Re: question

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:32:23AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 23 May 2005 02:34, Al Metz wrote:
> > I've noticed a discrepancy in the Upgrade docs.
> >
> > In section 4.2.1 the example it gives for adding to the sources.list
> > file is:
> >
> > deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian sarge main contrib
> >
> > But later in section 4.3 it says "Next insure that the APT sources
> > entries refer to the 'stable' distribution and not by it's codename.".
> >
> > Which is correct? or am I missing something?
>
> At the moment only 'sarge' is correct if you want to test the upgrade.
> After the release both would be OK as they will both point to the same
> archive.
> We are aware of the inconsistency and fixing it is on the TODO list.

I would suggest users always refer to distributions in the source.lists
by the code name. This would prevent unplanned upgrade at release time.

If the user has
deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian stable main contrib
and do a apt-get upgrade after sarge is released to install a
security upgade, they will get into the  sarge upgrade procedure without
having planned for (reading the release notes, etc.).

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.