Re: Release Notes patch

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> > - Included sparc stuff (Ben, please check if I've got it correct;
> >   you may want to wait for it to appear on CVS)
>
> The sparc stuff is fine. However, I still believe you should have people
> simply upgrade apt/dpkg implicitly from the CD's before doing a full
> upgrade, as opposed to having them install static versions.
>
> For sparc atleast this needs to be said, mainly because your intructions
> ask them to do the exect thing that you claim is the reason for installing
> the latest potato static versions (broken apt multi CD dependency chains).
> The upgrade should go somewhat like:
>
> 1) install the latest version of slink apt/dpkg from CD 1 in
>    upgrade-<arch>.
Done. (On CDs it'll just be upgrade/ (w/o <arch>) like install/)

> 2) Keeping CD 1 in the driver, run apt-cdrom
Done, but CD 2 and 3 can be done at this point, too. The problems are (AFAIK)
only in dist-upgrade.

> 3) Run "apt-get install apt dpkg". This will upgrade dpkg/apt and
>    everything that it depends on

This is what I forgot in my hurry. (And I was already half-sleeping, too ;-)
I hope to have a patch later today or tomorrow.

> 4) Run "apt-get -u dist-upgrade"
Done.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer