Re: 64-bit time_t transition in progress in unstable

On 08/03/2024 07:38, Rene Engelhard wrote:
Hi,

I did my part for example with this one, that maintainer denied first but fixed later in his next upload as suggested...

Well, you haven't seen the various discussion how to fix smbclient on IRC...

I started my analysis in the comment of the above mentioned bug report when my suggestion to add "Provides" was politely denied by:

"So Although I'm not a debian developer, I read this control file as:"

Not really. This is an affect of

    * d/genshlibs: run dh_makeshlibs on libsmbclient0
      (Closes: #1065349)

See above.

That is the correct fix (with a similar result of what you suggests), not what you suggested in the first mail, though.

That is plain wrong. Breaks: is not waiting for anything be there. It's just a lesser version of Conflicts

See above.

It still means the two packages cannot be co-installed no? So result is the same as far as the bug was concerned.

You are so determined to prove how dumb I am and how superior you, personally, are, that you do cannot even see these simple facts:

1) There was indeed a problem with this samba package set, that I spend time to report with a kind fix suggestion (from my point of view), 2) I said that a "Provides" was missing in control file, not how it should be added, 3) At the end "Provides:" has indeed been added, probably the "right" way as you suggest but still,

Insulting users is generally not very efficient, even for a non profit organisation. And believe me although on pre-retirement, with more time, and a lot of linux and debian user experience, this does not encourage me to take any package responsibility any time soon if that means dealing with people like you.

That said, I have a lot of respect and sympathy for debian developers in general. I selected this linux distrib because of that more than 20 years ago.

-- eric