Re: Request for review of debootstrap change [was: Re: Second take at DEP17 - consensus call on /usr-merge matters]

On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 10:56:03PM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > what about cdebootstrap?
> cdebootstrap (and mmdebstrap) never implemented a merging step[1] and to
> this date rely on the usrmerge package doing it at postinst time. Once
> base-files ships the aliasing symlinks, both will produce /usr-merged
> trees without any modifications. The reason that we need a change to
> debootstrap is that its current merging implementation breaks when
> base-files ships aliasing symlinks.
>
> So the main reason for doing this change to debootstrap is that it
> enables us to continue supporting cdebootstrap and mmdebstrap without
> any changes there.

ah, thank you!

--
cheers,
	Holger

 ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
 ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  holger@(debian|reproducible-builds|layer-acht).org
 ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀  OpenPGP: B8BF54137B09D35CF026FE9D 091AB856069AAA1C
 ⠈⠳⣄

Just because other people are also responsible, does not mean you are not
responsible.