Re: Potential MBF: packages failing to build twice in a row

On 08/08/23 at 10:26 +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> Are we ready to call for consensus on dropping the requirement that
> `debian/rules clean; dpkg-source -b` shall work or is anyone interested
> in sending lots of patches for this?

My reading of the discussion is that there's sufficient interest for
ensuring that building-source-after-successful-binary-build works.

Also, for most packages, fixes are trivial, and can be implemented as
durable fixes (not requiring changes for each upstream release).

So my proposal would be to file bugs against affected packages, with
severity:minor for now (even it is a clear policy violation).
The bugs would be properly usertagged to allow tracking, and point to a
wiki page where we can share recipes for specific issues.

The rate at which packages are fixed could be useful input to determine
if we can just live with that requirement, or if we needed to change
policy.

After some time, when enough bugs are fixed, the severity could be
increased to release-critical. And to ensure that we don't regress again
on this, this check could easily be added to archive rebuilds.

Lucas