Re: autodep8 test for C/C++ header

On Tue, 2023-08-08 at 18:32 +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2023 at 09:19:16AM -0300, Antonio Terceiro wrote:

> > > There are many actual bugs it would catch, that are currently only
> > > caught later manually (sometimes through bug reports from users in
> > > stable).
> > >
> > > There are special cases that might result in false positives.
> > >
> > > Numbers for bugs found and false positives should help determine whether
> > > it should be opt-in or opt-out.
> >
> > While providing this for packages to use is a great idea, this will have
> > to be opt-in. Imposing this on maintainers has a significant technical
> > and social cost, specially in the case of packages where the defaults
> > don't work correctly, that I am not willing to pay.
>
> Manual opt-in for our > 11k -dev packages is a significant cost
> that would have to be justified by the people who oppose opt-out.
>
> Are the > 200 affected -dev packages
> > 200 RC bugs and a dozen false positives,
> or are they > 200 false positives and a dozen RC bugs?

There are > 200 -dev packages that have missing dependencies. Some of
them will compile with the added missing dependencies, but some of them
need more quirks. So they are a mixed bag. My gut feeling from the armhf
work last week is that 70% just need the additional dependencies.

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer