Can we distribute pre-built locales to speed up image generation?

Hello everybody,

In the course of generating singularity/apptainer Debian images at work,
I wanted to make all locales available to the users.

Running locale-gen on everything from /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED only
adds ~60 Mb to the image, which is small compared to the image total
size and the available storage in my use case.  However, generating all
of them at image creation time is by far the most time-consuming and
earth-heating stage.

The description of the locales package mentions that in the past they
were distributed pre-built.  I was wondering if it was recently
considered to provide pre-built locales again, either in a separate
package or in one of the system images that we distribute, in the
interest of embracing language diversity.

It has been a long time I have not posted here, and I am not subscribed
at the moment.  Please CC me!

Have a nice day,

Charles

--
Charles Plessy                         Nagahama, Yomitan, Okinawa, Japan
Debian Med packaging team         http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med