Re: Policy consensus on transition when removing initscripts.

Simon McVittie left as an exercise for the reader:
> started as root and dropped privileges to some other uid, that permanently
> restricts its ability to read information out of its own /proc, which is
> not always desirable. If the daemon starts up unprivileged, then it can

i assume by "its own /proc" you mean /proc/getpid()? i don't see
how this is different from any other resource one might need
consider acquiring prior to dropping privileges. if i want to
open a privileged port, i'd better do that before i change my
user (or otherwise yield CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE).

furthermore, this is only true when procfs is mounted with a
nonzero hidepid, right? all my /proc/PID directories are 0755,
with contents likewise generally world-readable. hidepid=off is
the default according to
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/filesystems/proc.html.

--
nick black -=- https://www.nick-black.com