Re: proposal: dhcpcd-base as standard DHCP client starting with Trixie

nick black <dankamongmen@gmail.com> writes:

> what
> does NetworkManager offer that makes it superior to
> systemd-networkd on the desktop

I don't know what systemd-networkd has to offer in this regard, but for
laptop usage I'm personally fond of the ModemManager integration along
with multihoming policies (eth0 preferred over wlan0 preferred over
wwan0 by default).

For the same reason I believe conman should not be default on any
hardware with a built-in modem, regardless of desktop choice.

For servers I agree with others here - I'm slowly migrating to
systemd-networkd. Makes stuff like DHCPv6-PD much easier to manage for
example. I've been a happy ifupdown user for ages, but now I believe it's
time to move on...

A standalone dhcp client is still important to me for one specific use
case: testing and debugging of DHCP services.  Been using the ISC client
a lot for this, both for IPv4 and for different DHCPv6 modes.  I guess
the busybox client is a good enough replacement for v4.  Not sure about
DHCPv6. The advantages of the ISC client for this use case has been the
terminal debug output and the scripting abilities, where you also could
use "/usr/bin/env" as "script" to dump all the vars.

Bjørn