Re: 64-bit time_t transition for 32-bit archs: a proposal

On Tue, 2023-06-06 at 11:45 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:

> When considering the future of i386, a factor that we need to bear in
> mind is that there are two major use-cases for i386, with requirements
> that sometimes conflict:

There was another option mentioned earlier in the thread that could
help resolve some aspects of these conflicts; make 32-bit arches
(or just i386) support both time_t ABIs, like glibc and Linux do.

The 64-bit time_t ABI would be the default but the 32-bit time_t ABI
would be present for running old binaries that still kind of work with
the 32-bit ABIs after 2038, or under faketime when they do not.

This would be more work for Debian and a lot more work for upstreams
but would be a better outcome for the diversity of uses for 32-bit.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise