Upgrade package from init script to Systemd, move config folder

Hello!

I am in the process of updating/upgrading a package from an init.d service to a Systemd service. Are there any recommended guidelines for this process?

Looking through some current packages I see that a lot of them have both an init script and a Systemd service in their debian folder. Do dh_installsystemd and dh_installinit handle this smoothly by default if both files exist? When upgrading the package on a machine will it stop the init service and start the Systemd service?

The original config, postinst, and init script also configure some debconf values that are not needed anymore. What is the best way to remove those settings without depending on the debconf package?

This package also stores its configuration in /var/lib/packagename and it should really be in /etc/packagename. Where is the best place to deal with auto-migration? Should this go in postinst or is there a debhelper that I should use?

Thanks!
Perry Naseck