Re: RFC: More C errors by default in GCC 14 (no more implicit function declarations etc.)

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, 2023-04-18 at 16:07 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> TL;DR: I want to propose a GCC 14 change which will impact
>> distributions, so I'd like to gather some feedback from Debian.
>
> Is this change being made the upstream defaults?
>
> Or will it be a distro override like the hardening flags are?

The intention is to make this a default, in order to brace people for a
future C default standard version changes.

>> I would appreciate some discussion on the Debian impact.
>
> Since most of the Debian archive can be reproducibly built, it seems
> like the way to gauge the impact of this change on Debian would be to
> do two archive rebuilds, once without the flags and once with the
> flags, then compare the two builds for each package using diffoscope.

This seems reasonable.  I suspect changes largely in configure scripts
based on our prior experience[1].

Have a lovely night.

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/870412
--