Re: Welcome to your new installation of Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Quoting Bastian Blank (2022-10-09 10:24:26)
> On Sun, Oct 09, 2022 at 09:41:29AM +0200, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> > This breaks a number of setups like:
> >
> >  - the sbuild autopkgtest
> >    https://salsa.debian.org/debian/sbuild/-/jobs/3353627/raw
> >  - the dropbear autopkgtest
> >    https://ci.debian.net/data/autopkgtest/unstable/amd64/d/dropbear/26716581/log.gz
> >  - autopkgtest-virt-qemu image builders
> >  - the MNT reform image builder
> >  - the mmdebstrap testsuite which builds a qemu system image for its
> >    local tests
> >  - the mmdebstrap jenkins job
>
> This is a bug in mmdebstrap:
>
> |             open my $fh, '>', "$options->{root}/etc/machine-id"
> |               or error "failed to open(): $!";
> |             print $fh "uninitialized\n";
> |             close $fh;

Yes, maybe. I saw that you filed #1021478 against mmdebstrap --thanks for that!

If this is a bug in mmdebstrap, then mmdebstrap should do the same thing as
debootstrap which is currently being discussed in #1018740 which I see you also
commented on.

I do not understand enough about systemd to be able to say whether an empty
value or "uninitialized" is the correct default value for tools like
debootstrap or mmdebstrap to set. If nobody else chimes in, I'll change
mmdebstrap to write the empty string as suggested by Bastian.

Thanks!

cheers, josch