Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 04:43:47PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:

>Hi Steve,
>
>thanks for the update!
>
>Am 02.10.22 um 16:27 schrieb Steve McIntyre:
>
>> * Tweaks to add the non-free-firmware section in the apt-setup module
>>    if desired/needed.

>> If you think I've missed anything here, please let me and Cyril know -
>> the best place would be the mailing list
>> (debian-boot@lists.debian.org).
>
>What's the plan for upgraded systems with an existing /etc/apt/sources.list.
>Will the new n-f-f section added on upgrades automatically(if non-free was
>enabled before)?

So this is the one bit that I don't think we currently have a good
answer for. We've never had a specific script to run on upgrades (like
Ubuntu do), so this kind of potentially breaking change doesn't really
have an obvious place to be fixed.

Obviously we'll need to mention this in the release notes for
bookworm. Should we maybe talk about adding an upgrade helper tool?

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back