Re: Advice for package needing stuff installed in /srv (node-shiny-server)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 07:42:29PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Following FHS 3.0 is required by Debian Policy, and it says that "no
> program should rely on a specific subdirectory structure of /srv
> existing or data necessarily being stored in /srv".
> So if I understand the situation correctly, leaving the package to
> depend on filesystem path /srv/shiny-server is a violation of Debian
> Policy and needs to be fixed,

This was the whole point of my email, and it is the reason I started
this email thread in the first place.

I would have gone with installing it in /srv w/o seeking advice if it were
not a violation.

> either by avoiding that code (installing
> it only as example files) or patching, or convincing upstream to change
> default path.

Yes, this was discussed in just the previous conversation (w/ me and wookey)
I am looking for more opinions.

Essentially if someone has a techincal way/solution to bypass this; or if someone on the list
has had experience of working on a package that had similar reqs as shiny-server, it'd be nice to
know what they did for their package.

Best, Nilesh