Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

>>> If you want to drop the non-firmware image then it's the option 4 more or
>>> less.
>>
>> I see it more like option 5, with the difference that no closed source
>> firmware or repository will be installed by default. With the non-free ISO
>> this is the case.
>>
>> For people who don't like closed source firmware, it gives the option not to
>> install some firmware. E.g.: do I need that bluetooth adapter?
> As I said, this is about d-i questions and defaults more than it's about
> ISO choices and content.

While what you’re saying is technically true, the default selection means much more than a default. It’s defines the stance of Debian, as a whole.

So, if Option 5 is adopted, the default state is as important as the step itself IMHO. I also still believe that giving people the tools for assembling their "firmware enabled” install media is a valid option, but it’s not favored as far as I can see (no hard feelings, though).

>> And we stay a possibility for FSF-people.
> FSF people condemned Debian long ago:
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html#Debian

While I like and support what FSF is standing for, I don’t think their “condemnation” is a valid reason for not pursuing the ideals DFSG puts forward. In my opinion, DFSG is one of the things underpins the essence of Debian, and is a force for creating a more free and open world. We’re almost there on the driver side, and while it gonna take some time, we can be there on the firmware side. We just have to be persistent, sometimes stubborn even.