Re: isc-dhcp-client sends DHCPDISCOVER *before* wpa_supplicant authenticates/associates/connects.

Quoting The Wanderer (2020-07-12 04:12:54)

> >> Difficult when network-manager depends (not recommends) wpa-supplicant:
> >> https://bugs.debian.org/919619
> >
> > How to switch to iwd:
> >
> > apt install iwd
> > cat << END > /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/iwd.conf
> > [device]
> > wifi.backend=iwd
> > END
> > systemctl restart NetworkManager
>
> I don't run either systemd or NetworkManager, and I'm not currently
> interested in changing either of those things, but I am interested in
> trying out an alternative to wpa_supplicant. Is there an appropriate
> similar procedure for such an environment, or would I have to experiment
> and play around trying to get things to work?
>
> I also have quite a few network definitions in wpa_supplicant.conf, and
> I wouldn't want to have to re-enter them manually into a new system if I
> could avoid it. Is there a migration procedure, other convenient way to
> bring those settings across into iwd?
>
> (I'm not at the computer involved at the moment, so I can't easily check
> things to see whether any of the answers might be quickly obvious.)

How to use iwd without NetworkManager or systemd:

apt install iwd resolvconf
cat << END > /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/iwd.conf
[General]
EnableNetworkConfiguration = true

[Network]
NameResolvingService = resolvconf
END

You then also need to start iwd as a daemon somehow - and consider
filing patches to support those: Debian package provides hooks for
systemd but not sysv or runit.

Debian package includes hooks for connman, but I am not sure which iwd
or connman configuration changes that involves.

 - Jonas