Re: DNF for Debian

Hi Holger, hi Mihai,

Am Freitag, 29. Mai 2020 schrieb Holger Levsen:
> hi Mihai,
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:17:13PM +0200, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> > Sorry for the late response. I've been busy, and, honestly, also always forgot
> > to actually answer.
>
> thanks for your reply & don't worry, this happens often & to many people, me
> included.
>
> > unman seems to be interested, if that's good enough, so there's that.
>
> that is good enough if not much better than that.
>
> > > all very very nice! It would be a pity to have this rot, but then, without
> > > maintenance it will anyway eventually...
> >
> > Personally, I will have to "maintain" the package sets anyway, because I'm
> > building a lot of Fedora/CentOS packages in an automatic fashion on Debian.
> >
> > This "maintenance" just means that I'll probably update stuff every half a year
> > or year, though, essentially "whenever it breaks" (which does tend to happen).
> [...]
> > As given in the initial description, I've published source and binary packages
> > for Debian Unstable/Sid at https://packages.x2go.org/debian-test/pool/main/
> >
> > Note that the binaries are a bit old by now and would probably like a rebuild,
> > but the source is still the one I'm also using on my package builder.
> >
> > Also, the packages became a bit stale version wise (after all, they are 9 month
> > old by now) and some included patches have already been applied upstream. I
> > haven't tried updating (and testing any updates) yet, though, and probably won't
> > come to that shortly either.
>
> the important part is whether we'll get these packages ready and up to date
> until end of 2020 *and* whether we can commit to maintain important fixes after that.
>
> end of 2020 because of "key release dates" on https://release.debian.org/
>
> it's ok(ish) if the stuff is outdated today, but in 6 month it really should be current.
> (and then after the release we can slack a bit again, though usually it's
> less effort to always package and upload the latest version.)

As I am involved in the same upstream project as Mihai (X2Go), I also have am interest in dnf for Debian. I can be of help with doing sponsored uploads and such.

I guess, Mihai and I can stick our heads together until the end of the year and get dnf into shape. Most of the work has been done by Mihai already anyway.

Greets,
Mike

--
Gesendet von meinem Fairphone (powered by SailfishOS)