Re: Git Packaging Round 2: SHOULD Not or MUSt NOT Github

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 09:37:00AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> I will also support such a GR.  I started packaging gitlab so we don't
> have to compromise on ease of use compared to github.

And, despite a massive amount of efforts from you and others, packaged
gitlab is not fit for Salsa use.  It hasn't also ever been in a stable
release of Debian, despite being around since a year before Stretch's
freeze.

Looking at the number and complexity of packages needed solely for gitlab,
I'd say that they'll collapse the moment you get busy with other tasks.
This doesn't say anything good about Gitlab's design.

(I'm quite obviously not bashing you, but your upstream.)

I don't trust Gitlab's prolonged support.  Let's let it prove itself by
being a part of a couple of stable releases -- and _then_ we can build upon
its foundation.  That'd be a time frame already much accelerated compared to
other core software projects.

Until then, I'll use git (which has greatly proven itself) but strongly
refuse any ties to any particular platform.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Your snowflakes have nothing on my socks drawer.