Proposal: new virtual packages sf2-soundfont-gm and sf3-soundfont-gm

Dear debian-devel,

we, the maintainers of soundfont packages in Debian, i.e. currently
mostly Thorsten Glaser <tg> and myself, would like to propose the
introduction of two additional virtual packages:

	sf2-soundfont-gm
	sf3-soundfont-gm

Background: There is currently no default location defined for (General
MIDI compatible) soundfonts in Debian, so applications or libraries
rendering MIDI music with soundfonts need to be explicitely provided a
soundfont location, e.g. [1]. We want to fix this and provide a default
soundfont in the two most common formats (i.e. SF2, and SF3 which is
the same as SF2 but with OGG-Vorbis compressed samples).

This will require
(1) packages containing soundfonts to add "Provides: sf2-soundfont-gm,
sf3-soundfont-gm" (depending on the actual format) and registering an
alternative for the files /usr/share/sounds/sf[23]/default.sf[23] in
debian/postinst (as well as corresponding removal boilerplate in
debian/prerm).
(2) packages containing libraries or applications that use soundfonts
for MIDI rendering (e.g. fluidsynth) to fall back to use these default
soundfonts.

Some more background and motivation can be found in [1] and [2].

I hope nobody objects!

Cheers,

 - Fabian

(please keep me in CC, I am not subscribed to -devel)

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=929185
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=920373