Re: getting rid of "testing"

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:08:22AM +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what do people think about getting rid of current suite names ("stable",
> "testing", "unstable") for most purposes?  We already recommend using
> codenames instead as those don't change their meaning when a new release
> happens.
>
> Related to that I would like to be able to write something like
>
>   deb http://deb.debian.org/debian debian11 main
>   deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security debian11-security main
>
> in sources.list as codenames confuse people.

As a data point, having "stable" and "testing" stay around is very
useful for CI purposes. For example on ci.debian.net all our setup uses
"stable" and "testing" instead of the release codenames, and it's useful
to have a system that does not need manual intervention when the meaning
of "stable" and "testing" changes.

With that said, I think that for regular user systems, having suites
called debian11 and the like is a great improvement.