Re: Mandates explicit -std=c++XY for c++ projects

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 12:38:03PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
As with Gert's answer, I fail to understand your point: You would
prefer to see packages being (re)compiled *without* an explicit -std=
flag, so that it always gets recompiled using whatever is the current
c++ standard used by gcc, correct ?

Yes. Just as I expect packages to compile with the current gcc--even though we know that changing gcc version always causes at least some new bugs. The bugs get fixed, the world moves on. In the case that a particular package needs a specific set of build flags, they can be added on a per-package basis. If there's a package that can't build with the current compiler, and nobody has enough interest in the package and ability to fix the bugs, then the package is probably a good candidate for removal anyway.

Mike Stone