Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

On Tue, 2017-05-16 at 02:17 +0200, Stéphane Aulery wrote:
[...]
> Yes, Debian is a community like another, and a community is build
> with shared principles. Design isn't principle, it is just a shameful
> exploitation of the idea of beauty, serving a precise purpose which
> is not a shared principle. Wanting to do the number is not and should
> never be a goal of Debian.
>
> Debian say claim to be "The universal operating system". It should not
> be
> understood that it is used by everyone but that is generalist
> and at the service of all.
>
> Design and advertising are one and the same, manipulating the mind
> through
> the image to obtain consent. We are stuck in this rotten atmosphere
> since
> the interwar period.

Please tell me this is satire.  Because if this is serious, this is
seriously rude and dismissive toward everyone in Debian who thinks and
works at a higher level than hacking on code.

It's not all about the code.  Design matters.  So does creating a
community where all kinds of contributions are valued.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment