Re: Modern Debian packaging system for DevOps: does it exist?

Quoting Vincent Bernat (2015-05-14 23:25:20)
> ❦ 14 mai 2015 14:57 +0100, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> :
>
>>> More seriously, but this needs some additional work, it should be
>>> easier to manage persistent build dependencies. The first time you
>>> build a package, it retrieves and install all deps. The second time,
>>> the build environment is already here.
>>
>> That's a (serious) bug, not a feature.
>>
>> Either you want clean build environments or you are prepared to build
>> in dirty ones, in which case there's little point using a container
>> at all.
>>
>> A package cache is different, that's what pbuilder uses - that avoids
>> the risk of stale packages being installed, not being updated and
>> breaking the build. Either do it by uninstalling at the end of the
>> build or by using a disposable container (LVM snapshot or pbuilder
>> chroot). At all costs, avoid the false appeal of a dirty container
>> which gets you none of the advantages and all of the problems of
>> building on a developer box with no container at all.
>>
>> Were you thinking of a package cache or a dirty container?
>>
>> Any build system which allows for dependencies of a previous build to
>> exist at the start of the next build is irretrievably broken and
>> unfit for purpose. All you can allow to exist at the start of the
>> build is build-essential.
>
> For some packages, installing the dependencies can take more time than
> building the package. This makes use of pbuilder/cowbuilder quite
> tiresome. If the whole dependencies are already here, this becomes
> more enjoyable.

For that I use a cowbuilder chroot with those additional packages
included.  And instead of throwing it away after a day I do an "aptitude
update; aptitude upgrade", just as I do for core-only chroots.

...and then I avoid using that custom chroot for builds targeted Debian,
to ensure all build-dependencies are correctly declared.

 - Jonas