Re: pulseaudio related problems....

Hi,

Salvo Tomaselli:
> > • Make PA better? File a bug report
> Get a bug report to be read instead of closed immediately? Post on debian-
> devel I suppose.

OK, so we all (or most of us, anyway) admit that the original bug which
sparked this discussion could have been handled better. Worse, it's a year
old and nobody from the Pulseaudio maintenance team
<pkg-pulseaudio-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org> seems to have looked at it,
or at least commented on it.  That shouldn't happen either.

(Note that I'm not blaming them, we are all volunteers and sometimes things
fall through the cracks.)

HOWEVER, the original bug report
  * does not contain any detail about the author's setup
    ("pactl list"; "lsusb"; any speakers behind HDMI?)
  * does not say what the author tried, if anything
    (Open pavucontrol and just unmute the damn audio?)
    (Select the correct sound card as the default?)
    (Tell his desktop environment to use pulse instead of
	 direct-to-ALSA-hardware?)
  * does not read as if its author was particularly interested
    in helping solve the problem -- that's what
	"I will spare you my rants, bye." says, doesn't it?

So.

Salvo: *Are* you willing to help resolve this problem?

--
-- Matthias Urlichs