Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 20:13 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Patrick Lauer <patrick@gentoo.org> writes:
> > Where we disagree is mostly the policy - is that enabled by default?
> > (potentially bad)
> > What if a service gets restarted multiple times? (infinite loop)
> > Do we want to add a general notifier? (send an email, "foo crashed, I
> > restarted it)
> >
> > Apart from that it's trivial to add restarting functionality.
>

> That doesn't sound trivial at all. Your shell script will be invoked
> anew every time the service exits. That means in order to do anything
> non-trivial (like rate limiting), you now need to manage an internal
> state between invocations. To me a continuously running daemon sounds
> like a much more robust solution here than a collection of scripts that
> communicate via some set of files.

In _principle_ I don't see any problem to carry state information in a
script and between scripts. Any specific reason for that? Since OpenRC
is written in C having states would make that problem even smaller:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
What happened to the initiative to package OpenRC for Debian so we can
try it out, and make a comparison with the alternatives? Adding LSB
script support for OpenRC shouldn't be a big issue, right?