Re: directory under /usr/bin -- Ok or not?

Thank you John for extending my argument with adequate references which
I have swallowed while  composing my question email.

And if we are after reading FHS /usr/lib section:

    /usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that
    are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.

and in my case it becomes more interesting -- those tools *are intended*
to be executed by (interested) users directly.  It is just due to proliferation
in number of the tools and conflicts with other packages they cannot go under
/usr/bin directly.

That is why for this package (as for few others we maintain already) we
are shipping also /etc/PKG/pkg.sh script so (interested) users could
source to have their PATH adjusted to get preference to execute tools
from the PKG instead of possibly available conflicting one under
/usr/bin.   Wrapper script shipped directly under /usr/bin/ is only for
possible future adoption  since at the moment all users (and their
scripts) rely on direct names of the cmdline tools.

Altogether, according to FHS /usr/lib/PKG is actually not preferable
location for them since indeed it is for solely internal use (and it is
now used to keep shared libraries)