Re: Closing non-bugs (a.k.a. fixed version is same as found version)

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 04:57:40PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:

> > Why not change the way they are treated? You can easily use the date a
> > message is sent to bugs.debian.org to see if it comes before or after other
> > messages closing/opening the bug tagged with the same version.
>
> Because it is sane to assume that when a bug is found and fixed in the
> same version that it's better to play on the safe side and treat it as
> found in that version.

I think that if people are actively opening and closing bugs (in that order)
with the same Version tag, they expect the bug to be closed. I also do not
think that there is any danger in having it marked as closed, it can always be
reopened later.

> Though one should contact debbugs maintainers if you think this should
> be changed.

Ok.

> It's very strange that you think it's ok to mark a bug as fixed in a
> specific version even if there was nothing changed in the package to get
> the bug fixed IMHO.

Well, if, like in your example, a binNMU fixes a problem, then I do not see it
as illogical for someone to close a bug with a Version tag that is the same as
the version the bug was reported in. Maybe debbugs can be changed to handle
binary Version tags?

How often, when a bug is opened and closed with the same Version tag, was one
of the two Version tags really wrong?

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>