Re: Debian Mobile -- Debian GNU/Linux for mobile devices

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 04:43:44PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 at 17:51:35 +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > For packages that are free, use debian versions whenever possible.
> > For packages that are free but patched too much, use renamed packages.
> > For non-free packages, use current Nokia's binaries wrapped into hand-made
> > debs.
>
> Nokia's binaries are distributed under an EULA and are not legally
> distributable (i.e. they couldn't go in non-free). I believe Mer has
> some sort of hack analogous to Debian's game-data-packager, in which the
> Nokia binaries are pushed into the installed device by (a script on behalf of)
> each user, rather than being available through Mer.

Maybe Nokia could be convinced to open up some/most of the Maemo5 apps
once Maemo6/Meego is out; AIUI, not opening up the UI apps was an
initial decision that has been at least partly rethought internally
since.

The most interesting thing (it appears to me) would be unified (i.e.
combining social networks and local address book etc.) contacts and
message logs, though I am not sure Maemo does the latter as well (or at
all) like WebOS.

Michael