Re: New Menu category Applictions/Multimedia

Le Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:54:43PM +0100, Josselin Mouette a écrit :

> No one needs a menu with 200 applications, because such a menu is not usable.
> What users need is a reasonable default selection and the ability to re-add
> applications that are hidden by default.

Hi Josselin,

to achieve this reasonnable default, the maintainers of programs with a menu
entry need some instructions whether they should hide their entry in the major
desktop managers like GNOME, KDE and Xfce.

Could the GNOME team show the way and issue a couple of guidelines? For
instance what to do if there is no icon available or the icon does not have an
alpha channel? Is it a hint that the entry should not show up in the GNOME
menu?

For the moment, my personnal policy is to always add a FreeDesktop menu entry
and a Debian menu entry whenever the program is graphical. But I would be most
happy to make the FreeDesktop entry conform to the vision of the teams who make
the desktop managers available to our users.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,