Re: New Menu category Applictions/Multimedia

I demand that Josselin Mouette may or may not have written...

> Le lundi 15 février 2010 à 13:40 +0000, Darren Salt a écrit :
>> [snip]
>>> The layout sucks: a good menu is hard to do because it must not be too
>>> deep (too many clicks/movements to reach an application) nor too
>>> crowded (too many applications in one submenu). The Debian menu is an
>>> achievement in failure itself, since it manages to be both too deep and
>>> have crowded submenus.
>> The freedesktop one is too shallow; it has crowded submenus as a result
>> (particularly its games submenu, IME).

> The freedesktop.org specification does not impose a layout. You are
> probably talking about the KDE, GNOME or Xfce menu.

Hmm? I was under the impression that they all included the same
auto-generated file...

>> The Debian menu could probably do with a little splitting up here and
>> there (sgt-puzzles, for example, adds quite a few menu entries to
>> Games→Puzzles), a bit of merging here and there...

> So, I take you will propose to split the Puzzles menu into Easy Puzzles
> and Hard Puzzles? Or by the first letter?

No; it's more that packages which add a *lot* of menu items should add a
submenu for them. Alternatively, some further subdivision by type (not
necessarily making the menu tree deeper, though).

> If one package alone adds enough entries to make a submenu unusable,
> maybe the problem is not in the menu layout but in the package.

Agreed.

--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/ & http://tlasd.wordpress.com/

"We don't play on paper; we play on grass." - Sir Bobby Robson