Re: Dpkg triggers and user experience, aka "How do I disable those triggers" side effect.

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 18:17 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:31:54AM +0200, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > i.e We should be careful not to add lots of new triggers for doing new
> > stuffs, that eventually makes the installation to take longer. We can
> > still defer actions in the background by other means, like cron.
> >
> > I've included some figures for man-db, as an example below (*3). (Thanks
> > to Colin Watson who maintain that other feature Joe User will never
> > notice).
>
> I understand that this was just an example [..]

Yes it was.

mandb was the most obvious candidate _new_ action to add. It was also
one the most useful one. My concern was, and it's still, that people
don't add new triggers for new action, that would be less useful, and
more time consuming. but I think I'm repeating myself here .

> I expect that most of the new uses of triggers will not be new features
> like this one, but instead will consist of moving existing code around
> so that it's called only a small number of times during an upgrade
> rather than once per affected packages. Thus, even with the odd new
> feature, I expect we'll still see a substantial net performance
> improvement from triggers.

Hopefully.

Thanks,

Franklin