Re: automake/autoconf in build-dependencies

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.berkeley.edu>
> > - Putting autoconf-generated files in the source package is nearly as
> > fragile as generating them at build time.  If there are changes in
> > autoconf which break the configure.ac etc, then the next time you want
> > to make other changes or bring your changes forward to a new upstream
> > version, you'll have to fix things anyway.  This to my mind pretty
> > much reduces the "future buildability" benefits to nearly nothing.

Experience tells me you are wrong.

> When I include the configure script in my source packages, I can feel
> pretty confident that they package I upload will stay buildable even
> if a week from now autoconf or automake gets updated to something not
> backwards compatible.

Yes. That's how I see it as well.

> > - The extra space in the diff.gz expands the size needed on every
> > single Debian mirror, as opposed to the short one-time penalties on a
> > few buildd's.

Unfortunatelly, it is still a good tradeoff.  I am not even bothering about
CPU time in the buildds anymore, since I got told by buildd admins and
porters a number of times not to.  BUT the long-term package quality
benefits are worth the increase in space.

> That's a real issue, but I still think the least bad solution is to
> ship finished, known-to-work build scripts in the source package.

Agreed.  That's the current best practice for Debian, as far as I am
concerned.

In fact, best practice for Debian also requires that you use config.sub and
config.guess from autotools-dev if your configure script needs them. Just a
shameless plug for autotools-dev :-)

  Henrique Holschuh