Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:21:10AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> I see no reason why the debian administrators should waste their time
> with these solutions when the end recipients should be quite capable
> of setting up their system with exactly the spam strictness that is
> appropriate for them.

Figuring out which is the appropriate "Received by:" header, and
properly parsing it to determine which IP to check against RBLs is a
royal PITA.

This kind of checking needs to be done at the relay host and its MX's

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Actually, unfortunately there is there is. My mail servers regularly reject
> viruses that master.debian.org relays to me, and then it generates a bounce
> and this goes through to me. In the last few weeks I got around 107 such
> mails, 6.9 MB. If I had to directly pay for my bandwidth, I would have
> a strong urge to become violent.

I'm in the same boat.. I have some mail forwarded to me by d.o, some
comes directly, and some via fetchmail.

79 rejects, causing master.d.o to bounce in the last two days.
185 before I stopped allowing the bounces to come back to me.

I now trap those rejections no master instead of them hitting my home
box...

And, whilst I could add -N (--noreject) to clamav-milter, I'm loathe to
do so because of the amount of direct mail handled by my machine -
especially on my laptop that often lives in the IBM domain where I need
the ability to track the rejections (and to whom they went).
--
Rick Nelson
Since when has the purpose of debian been to appease the interests of the