Re: Mass bug filing: Cryptographic protection against modification

Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Henning Makholm:
>
>>> Is it acceptable to ignore obnoxious but unenforceable license terms
>>> when evaluating licenses for DFSG compliance?
>>
>> Yes, if the license does not legally apply to any copyrightable
>> material that Debian distributes (or considers distributing).
>
> The problem here is that we have no workable definition of
> "copyrightable".

Well, that sucks.  Unfortunately, there's really no way around it, since
copyright is determined by law.  Contact your legislator.

>Trademark law might also apply.
Debian-legal has always considered the restrictions of traditional trademark
law -- which exist solely to prevent confusion -- to be DFSG-free.