Re: different configs for 386 and 686 kernel

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 05:43:01PM +0100, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

> [but I'm not an expert. I build my own kernel, and by choice without initrd
> (and I'm happy that the initrd support will be removed in 2.6)]

I hope (if this is really true, that the initrd support will be removed in
2.6), the initrd support will stay[1] in Debian. I guess, initrd is a cool
way, how to create a kernel-image package, that supports a variety of
hardware without compiling the drivers (that would be unnecessary on vast
majority of machines) directly into the kernel. Or which other way, would
you want to achieve the support of various hardware in the kernel-image
package?

> 	giacomo

Regards,

Marcel Kolaja
"Buying an operating system without source is like buying a self-assembly
Space Shuttle with no instructions."       -- Jeremy Allison

[1] BTW IIRC some patch due to the initrd support is applied already in
the 2.4 kernel, isn't it?