Re: Why does the user 'nobody' have a shell?

On 8/1/2000 Wichert Akkerman wrote:

It turned out to be impossible to do without risking a breakage
somewhere. What I think I'll do is relocate them anyway, but keep
the uids they currently use reserved to nothing else will use them,
and tell update-passwd not to remove them automatically. In other
words, use new uids for new installations, but keep the old ones
for older machines.

that seems reasonable, is it possible for update-passwd to either ask or inform the admin that these uids may be removed? and i would assume if they are removed they will no longer be re-added back in the later base-passwd updates?

Ethan