Re: Boot disk images -- the only way?

Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:
>
> > Why do we still force people to use RAWRITE to create Debian boot
> > floppies on DOSsy systems (DOS, WIN, '95, NT, OS/2)?  Since these disks
> > are plain DOS disks (with a syslinux boot sector) we could distribute
> > .ZIP files containing these disks, or even distribute the files
> > uncompressed so people could simply copy them to a floppy and run
> > SYSLINUX.EXE.
>
> We've already got alternative installation methods.  There is an
> intall.bat on the Official CD which runs the entire installation from the
> CD on a DOS or Windows system (it should be run from DOS mode).  Also,
> there is a method to do floppyless installation from a DOS partition
> where one simply downloades the compressed base archive, loadlin.exe, and
> a few more images such as the kernel and the drivers disk image.  1.3.x
> has been the testing ground for these methods.  Given that they each work
> well, we will be able to emphasize there use over the old 6-disk floppy
> installation method.
>
> Syrus.

Great thing, installing from CD or Harddisk, but HOW DO YOU DO IT?

I installed Debian on a 386/20 last weekend (took ~10 hours until the
network worked partly) and I couldn't figure out how to install Debian
on it for some time.

The computer was made up of spareparts lying around and the diskdrive
didn't accept HD disks. I finally bootet with loadlin manually, but then
there wasn't any help available during installation so it was guess and
try on some stuff. There should be a readme about it and a tgz together
with a uncompressed gzip.exe holding all the files and scripts needed.

May the source be with you.
			Mrvn