Re: X at 1600x1200, 15 bit color

>[Community] Adding 1600x1200 configuration options would be a welcome
>contribution.  Also;  it seems that the current xf86config script is
>horribly bent towards lower resolutions.  It really needs an option for
>automatically starting the server in the highest available resolution
>(instead of the lowest) as well as an option to automatically throw it into
>15, 16, or 32 bit color mode.

Also, 1152x900/910 (or 1152x864 for aspect ratio purists) would be a
good addition too, since many people with 1 meg (8 bit color) or 2 meg
(16 bit color) throw away a good bit of resolution by only running at
1024x768.

Also, a number of recent cards (S3's come to mind) also need some
weird tweaking (invert_VCLK and option "diamond") that the xf86config
might not address.

I've never really looked at xf86config, I always have hacked up my own
config files, but this sounds like a worthwhile hacking project.  I
might look at it.

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
bofh@bofh.me.umn.edu			University of MN, ME Dept