Re: [UPLOAD] GNAT - the GNU NYU Ada Translator.

Michael Meskes <meskes@Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE> writes:
> I'm not familiar with the term "diverts" but does that mean a new gcc and a
> new libgcc.a are installed? Why? I don't like that at all.

See "dpkg-divert" -- it's the same way color-xterm replaces xterm. The
old executables are moved out of the way, but kept around, so that if
you "dpkg --remove gnat" the old ones are restored. When you do the
install, dpkg-divert tells you explicitly what paths it is using (in
this case I've had it add ".orig-gcc" to the end of the original
names.)

> Are these files supersets of the old one?

Yes. gcc (which, remember, is only the top level driver, not a
compiler) simply adds support for the pathnames and passes used by
Ada. libgcc.a adds a few new builtins. It should be noted that the
changes in both are already in place at the FSF - I don't think
they'll be out in 2.7.3, since they're non-critical, but they should
be in 2.8.

If the debian package actually becomes widely used (1) I'll be
surprised :-) (2) I'll look into having the support put into the gcc
package directly.
			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
			The Herd of Kittens