Re: could we have Tales of MajEyal in Debian ?

Hi Shirish,

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 8:12 PM shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

Would it be possible to have Tales of MajEyal in Debian. The only
trouble I see is that the package name is tome2 which is similar to
the name of a game maintained by Manoj Srivastava -

tome ( Troubles of Middle Earth) although the difference seems to end
there.  While the package that Manoj maintains requires libsdl1.2 and
boost libraries, Tales of MajEyal requires OpenGL, libsdl2.0,
premake4, all of which are now in Debian. You can also see the
difference from the screenshots shared at
https://te4.org/tome/screenshots.

The only issue I see is the license which says 'relicensing the code
as the developer seems fit' although he does mention that the game
will always be open-source. The cool thing is this game also seems to
be inspired by Angband as so many foss rpg's have.

That's not technically a license issue and is not a problem, re-licensing would essentially create a fork of the project. However, there's a non-free license on the "/data/gfx" directory. I believe the COPYING-MEDIA file is out of date and that actually refers to the "tiled-maps/gfx" directory. That would prevent the package from being in Debian.

If the upstream author were able to clarify the contents of that file, it would help. If the restriction on that directory were removed, the package seems like it could be accepted into Debian.

-Olek