Re: Ubuntu Gaming Team

Team,
    There's been some discussion (and confusion) in Ubuntu about the
creation of the "Ubuntu Gaming Team".  This team is an outgrowth of the
Ubuntu Marketing Team, and is mostly focused on promotion and
documentation of games.  As discussions continued (1), Philip raised
some interesting points about the weaknesses of the current team in
tracking bugs in Ubuntu:

Philip Wyett wrote:
> A team that is subscribed bugs is what I was after, though maybe put
> slightly wrongly as no user intervention is actually needed over and
> above reporting a bug. What I would like for Ubuntu game package bugs
> is:
>
> - Create a 'games-swat' team for the triage of game bugs in Ubuntu.
> - Create a 'games-swat-bugs' mailing list.
> - All bugs reported against game packages in Ubuntu are subscribed to
>   team and email sent to the 'games-swat-bugs' mailing list.
> - People join the 'games-swat' team.
> - People subscribe to the 'games-swat-bugs' mailing list which using
>   filters will allow quick isolation of game bugs that a person can then
>   look at and maybe assist with.
>
> This is similar to how X Swat works and I feel would be a good way for
> those 'volunteers' interested in helping with game bugs in Ubuntu to get
> exactly what they want and nothing else for triage or fixing. How this
> interacts with Debian is a further discussion but may increase the speed
> of bugs reports over to Debian and possibly fixes. It may also encourage
> people to develop directly as part of the joint Debian/Ubuntu
> development team.

    So, I noticed that Evgeni registered the pkg-games team on Launchpad
(2).  I'm curious what others think about taking the following
(separable) steps:

a) Setting pkg-games-devel@l.a.d.o as the contact for the team

    This would send any launchpad mail generated for the team (from bug
subscriptions, PPA updates, etc.) to the mailing list, rather than team
members.

b) Setting the team as a bug contact for all the packages maintained by
the team.

    This would generate bugmail for any bugs reported against Ubuntu,
and provide a bug report summary (3) for review by any team members
looking for Ubuntu bugs.  If done without (a) above, such bugmail would
be sent to each team member individually, rather than to a list.

optional (c):
    If most of the members of the team would prefer that
pkg-games-devel@l.a.d.o not be used also for Ubuntu bugmail, and also
support the use of this launchpad team to track packages in Ubuntu, it
is certainly possible to create a pkg-games@launchpad address for this
purpose instead.

1: Subjects containing "Gaming" from:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2009-April/thread.html