Re: List of upsides/downsides of contributing back to Debian

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:01:18 +0100
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it would be nice to extend
> http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk (or the FAQ) with a list
> of reasons why one would want to cooperate more closely with Debian
> (and also to be fair a list of possible downsides).

> Disadvantages:
> - it takes more time to get all your packages properly
> accepted/integrated in Debian

and as a result
* your pace of development and or release will be affected

> - you might have to deal with porting problems that you don't care
> about (for instance if you're only interested in i386/amd64)
> - you can only contribute packages that you commit to maintain and
> due to this (some of) your team members should aim to become Debian
> maintainer and thus have to agree with Debian's goals & values.
>   http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer
> - packages uploaded to Debian target the unstable distribution, so
> there might be discrepancies between the package that you use in
> production right now and the packages that you contribute to debian
> (although in the majority of the cases there are ways to keep a
> single source package that works for both distributions)

* trying to work out personality/belief disagreements
not exactly a disadvantage in and of itself, but if the maintainer/team
has a pre formed opinion its much harder to work with them :)
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)