DEX work tracker (Re: [RFC] DEX - merging patches from derivatives into Debian)

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:58:02AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:05:18AM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > What do folks think of:
> >
> > "Derivatives EXchange"
> > "Debian EXchange"
> > "Debian dErivatives eXchange"
>
> My favorite here is the latter "Debian dErivatives eXchange".
> The one I like the least is "Debian EXchange", as it focuses too much on
> Debian, while the focus should really be the ecosystem of all
> derivatives as a whole.

OK, sounds good.  If you feel this backronym should go on the website,
please feel free to add it. :-)

> Another, unrelated, comment I have is about the current graphing of
> *progress* of the various DEX-related initiatives. Consider for instance
> the current initiative about cleaning up ubuntu ancient patches [1]. The
> graph is great ATM, as it shows that all the work is almost complete,
> which was not the case when the initiative started. However, I'm able to
> appreciate that as I *know* how it looked like in the beginning, which
> is not necessarily the case for other visitors.
>
> Have you thought about graphing progress, on a time-based scale? I was
> under the impression that you already have all the needed tools to do
> that ... If you need help with technical setup or the like, shout on
> this list!

I fully agree and feel it is very valuable to track progress over time.  I
didn't do it for this project mainly because of a lack of time.  I had
already delayed too long getting the project set up, and wanted to make it
possible to start work ASAP.

For future projects, I would like to chart progress over time.  If someone
has a recommendation for a good tool to use, please let me know (I used
matplotlib for the pie chart).

Martin Pitt wrote a tool for making burn down charts for Ubuntu which I
thought we might be able to adapt for DEX:

http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/natty/canonical-desktop-team.html

The current code generates the todo list from data in Launchpad, but it
shouldn't be hard to repurpose.  Martin, what do you think?

It's free software hosted at
https://launchpad.net/launchpad-work-items-tracker

> For future initiatives, we will also probably benefit from a sort of
> tutorial on how to setup a page like the one at [1] with graphs and all
> the other goodies.

Indeed, as I was working on it, I thought the same.  It would be nice to
have a "kit" for running a DEX project which would make it easy to compile a
list of work to do and track progress over time.

In effect it is a sort of specialized issue tracker, so I wonder if it might
make sense to base the next version on an issue tracker (debbugs, alioth,
...?).

--
 - mdz